Re: wal_log_hints benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: wal_log_hints benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 03:46:30PM +0200, Fabio Pardi wrote:
> Maybe of some interest for the past, present and future community, I
> benchmarked the impact of wal_log_hints with and without wal_compression
> enabled.

pgbench data is rather compressible per the format of its attributes,
hence I am ready to bet that the compressibility would much much less
if you use random text data for example.

The amount of WAL generated also depends on the time it takes to run a
transactions, and on the checkpoint timing, so I think that would you
get better results by using a fixed number of transactions if you use
pgbench, but that won't compare as much as a given workload in one
session so as you can make sure that the same amount of WAL and full
pages get generated.
--
Michael

Attachment