Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 12:50:12PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 10:21:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think we expect people to read them fully because how would they know
> > what changed and what new features were added.  I do think allowing more
> > detail by showing the commit messages would be helpful for people who
> > want to drill down on an item.
>
> This point is interesting.  The release notes include in the sgml
> sources references to the related commits.  Could it make sense to
> have links to the main commits of a feature which can be clicked on
> directly from the html docs or such?  I understand that producing the
> notes is a daunting task already, and Bruce does an awesome job.  Just
> wondering if we could make that automated in some way if that helps
> with the user experience...  Anyway, this is unrelated to the topic of
> this thread.  My apologies for the digression.

Yes, I am sure it can be done.  The commits are always in a the same
style as output by src/tools/git_changelog, and always to the far left.
This has been discussed before, but no one felt it was urgent enough.

The good news is that once we do this, all release notes, even the
previous ones, will have this feature.