Re: PG version recommendation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: PG version recommendation
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-05-08 13:41:08 +0900, Ian Barwick wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2019 at 07:19, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I would find out if the IT team who will maintain the system are running
>     a specific Linux distribution, such as RHEL and just go with the PG
>     version that is on that distribution.
>

> Bear in mind, depending on the OS, the default version available may be
> chronically outdated and no longer supported by the community. For example
> the CentOS 7 out-of-the-box PostgreSQL version is 9.2.24.

RHEL 8 was just released and contains PostgreSQL 10. So depending on how
long the IT team takes to integrate a new base OS version into their
standard procedures, that might be the best option.

RHEL also has "software collections" (which are new to me although the
guide is from 2013 - so you can guess how long it's been that I last
administrated RHEL systems) which include PostgreSQL 10 for RHEL 7
according to https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/.

Of course, if the IT team is willing to use the PostgreSQL yum
repository, then that is even better.

All this of course assumes that the IT team insists on Redhat, which the
OP hasn't said. If there is a wider varietyl of distributions to choose
from, my preference would be Debian or Ubuntu (in that order).

        hp

| |   | hjp@hjp.at         | management tools.

Attachment