Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 06:15:25PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> I think the question the code needs to be asking is "If we double the
> number of batches, does the amount of memory we need drop?" And the
> memory needs to account both for the buffers and per-batch data.
>
> I don't think we can just stop increasing the number of batches when the
> memory for BufFile exceeds work_mem, because that entirely ignores the
> fact that by doing that we force the system to keep the per-batch stuff
> in memory (and that can be almost arbitrary amount).
> Of course, this just stops enforcing work_mem at some point, but it at
> least attempts to minimize the amount of memory used.

This patch defines reasonable as "additional BatchFiles will not themselves
exceed work_mem; OR, exceeded work_mem already but additional BatchFiles are
going to save us RAM"...

I think the first condition is insensitive and not too important to get right,
it only allows work_mem to be exceeded by 2x, which maybe already happens for
multiple reasons, related to this thread and otherwise.  It'd be fine to slap
on a factor of /2 or /4 or /8 there too.

The current patch doesn't unset growEnabled, since there's no point at which
the hashtable should grow without bound: if hash tables are *already* exceeding
work_mem by 2x as big, nbatches should be doubled.

Justin

Attachment