Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
Date
Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 10:30:47PM +1100, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> With the above additional options, the pg_basebackup is able to control
> the access permissions of the backup files, but when it comes to tar mode
> all the files are sent from the server and stored as it is in backup, to
> support
> tar mode group access mode control, the BASE BACKUP protocol is
> enhanced with new option GROUP_MODE 'none' or GROUP_MODE 'group'
> to control the file permissions before they are sent to backup. Sending
> GROUP_MODE to the server depends on the -g option received to the
> pg_basebackup utility.

Do we really want to extend the replication protocol to control that?
I am really questioning if we should keep this stuff isolated within
pg_basebackup or not.  At the same time, it may be confusing to have
BASE_BACKUP only use the permissions inherited from the data
directory, so some input from folks maintaining an external backup
tool is welcome.
--
Michael

Attachment