Re: Shared_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Shared_buffers
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 04:03:11PM -0400, MichaelDBA wrote:
> Set shared_buffers more accurately by using pg_buffercache extension and the
> related queries during high load times.

I've tuned ~40 postgres instances, primarily using log_checkpoints and
pg_stat_bgwriter, with custom RRD graphs.  pg_buffercache does provide some
valuable insights, and I know it's commonly suggested to check histogram of
usagecounts, but I've never had any idea how to apply that to tune
shared_buffers.

Could you elaborate on what procedure you suggest ?

Justin