Re: Server upgrade advice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Marshall
Subject Re: Server upgrade advice
Date
List pgsql-general

> > Is there a reason not to consider an all flash solution? The AMD EPYC
> > processor series supports enough NVMe channels to support your sizing.
> > The 7401P single processor is a good value proposition.
>
> Hi Ken
>
> Thanks very much for your response.
>
> I'm completely naive about the uses of NVMe. Does it support RAID, for
> instance? Since we are not IO-bound at the moment, do you believe NVMe
> would relieve our RAM/CPU problems?
>
> I'd be grateful for some pointers to database-related NVMe info.
>
> Many thanks
> Rory

Hi Rory,

NVMe is just a block device. It does have much, much higher I/O
bandwidth than standard disks, 4GB/s versus 100MB/s. I am just starting
with NVMe and SSD for databases. Hopefully, some other more experienced
users can chime in.

Regards,
Ken