Re: Release Notes Archive Patch - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Release Notes Archive Patch
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi,

On 2019-02-13 13:01:46 -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> So, in anticipation of push back, I also want to provide some stats. I
> looked at overall traffic since Jul 1, 2018 to yesterday. Traffic to any
> of the release notes in general was a very small chunk of it (< 0.5%).

Given the number of pages, that doesn't seem that small.  I personally
have hit broken /devel/release-xy.html links several times since the
hasty removal.

> From a user experience perspective, does it stink that we're potentially
> creating a bunch of 404s? Yes. Is it going to upset some people? Yes,
> and I'm sympathetic to that. However, looking at the overall numbers, I
> think we'll be ok, even if we don't have the redirects per Magnus'
> suggestion downthread (which I will also reply to).

We're going to break current/relase-xy.html links after every single
major release this way. This seems absurd.

I'm quite pissed at how haphazardly this was done.

Greetings,

Andres Freund