Re: pgsql: Remove references to Majordomo - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove references to Majordomo
Date
Re: pgsql: Remove references to Majordomo  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 4:02 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
> >
> > > You are right, we definitely should. I'll go ahead and fix that. I can't
> > > quite make up my mind on if it's a good idea to backpatch that though --
> > > it's certainly safe enough to do, but it might cause issues for
> > translators?
> >
> > Yeah, weak -1 for back-patching.  We don't usually like to thrash
> > translatable messages in the back branches.
>
> Pushed.

Does this also implicitly mean we've just agreed to push back the
retirement of the @postgresql.org aliases for the lists until v11 is
EOL..?

I can understand the concern around translators and back-patching and
such, but I don't think we should be waiting another 5 years before we
retire those aliases as having them is preventing us from moving forward
with other infrastructure improvements to our email systems.  I also
don't think it'd be ideal to wait until we are ready to retire those
aliases to make the change in the back-branches, so, I really think we
should back-patch this.

I could see an argument for waiting until the next round of releases is
out to give more time to translators, if we think that's necessary, but
given that it's a pretty straight-forward change, I wouldn't think it'd
be too bad..

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment