Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers?
Date
List pgsql-www
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 4:40 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > If we want something that would work with replies for direct CC, then
> > we'd have to (ab)use a field that we know MUAs will copy to the next
> > email on a reply and there's unfortunately few of those.  At least
> > some bug trackers have dedicated email addresses for individual bugs,
> > probably for that reason, among others.
>
> Technically we already have this for threads started in the form these
> days, as you can trivially get the bug number out of the message-id, and
> the message-id is one of the fields that *is* typically preserved (in the
> References header).

Hmmm, we certainly can't change the message-ID in-transit, but I wonder
about the References field and/or In-Reply-To...

> It won't cover threads that are responded to by creating a whole new thread
> and referencing the bug in the free text part of it, but there's really no
> way to handle that form inside the email...

Yeah, which also means it's difficult for someone who isn't on the list
and not on the original email to add to a bug...  That might be solved
if/when we implement the "email me this message" feature that we've
discussed a few times.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment