Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers?
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2019-Jan-18, Stephen Frost wrote:

> > since copies received via a direct cc: rather than via the list would
> > lack the field.  (Hence, you're mistaken to claim this would be
> > locally searchable.)
>
> Ok, it's only locally searchable for people who are subscribed to our
> mailing lists and keep local copies of the emails they get from our list
> server, but isn't that going to cover the vast majority of the people
> who are going to be looking in the commit log and trying to find a
> matching thread in their local archive..?

It doesn't work in that case either if you're CCed and you get the
direct copy before the list copy; that one won't have the header.
In my case I just deduplicate with formail/reformail and it simply
throws the second one away, and I suspect others do likewise.  I don't
know what does Gmail do.

> If we just agree to always use the message-ID of the first message in
> the thread when we're closing out a bug, and people are happy with using
> message-ID, then I'm not really sure what the bug # is doing for us (and
> I see that that question from my prior email wasn't answered).

Hmm, sometimes I refer to an intermediate message in a thread, not
necessarily the first, when something was discovered in the middle of
some discussion.