Re: Misleading panic message in backend/access/transam/xlog.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Misleading panic message in backend/access/transam/xlog.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 08:10:43AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> I'm quite unenthused about that. If anything, I'd remove detail and use
> the standard error message about not being able to write to a file, and
> include the full path.

Partially agreed.  Those messages have been left out of 56df07b
because they include some context about the offset and the length, and
I don't think that we simply want to remove that information.  What
about making the offset and the length part of an extra errdetail, and
switch the main error string to a more generic one?
--
Michael

Attachment