Re: Stats getting corrupted - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Stats getting corrupted
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 2018-Dec-20, Devendra Yadav wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> The stats file in *pg_stat_tmp *are getting corrupted. Even earlier the
> files in *pg_stat* got corrupted. They show ?? ?? when you list the files
> in folder. Also we can see them in the error log.
> it says " *could not open statistics file 'pg_stat_tml/db_0.tmp': to
> 'pg_stat_tmp/db_0.stat': Input/output error".*

You have problems related to the disk or operating system.  This is not
PostgreSQL's fault.  See `dmesg` or whatever OS diagnostics you have.

I suggest never to transcribe error messages manually.  Copy & paste instead.
When transcribing you're likely to make mistakes that obscure important
details.

> After doing e2fsck (file system scan ) it is fixed but that needs downtime
> and also it removes the file. What is the impact if the file is being
> removed ?

Deleting those files will lose some statistical counters, but it's not
critical data; you're advised to run ANALYZE on all databases after
making the disk work properly again.