Re: SCRAM question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: SCRAM question
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:03:14AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 10/30/18 10:51 AM, MichaelDBA wrote:
>> I am using pgadmin4 version 3.4 with PG 11.0 and I get this error when I
>> try to connect with scram authorization:
>>
>> User "myuser" does not have a valid SCRAM verifier.
>>
>> How do I get around this? And also how would I do this for psql?
>
> You need to update the password using SCRAM I believe...
>
> |See here:
> https://paquier.xyz/postgresql-2/postgres-10-scram-authentication/|

In order to do that, you would basically need to:
1) Switch password_encryption to 'scram-sha-256' in the server
configuration.
2) Issue an ALTER ROLE command to update the password (likely it is
better to use \password from psql as this would send a hashed password
to the server, which relies on the server setting for
password_encryption).
3) Make sure that pg_hba.conf is using properly scram-sha-256 where it
should as authentication method.

If you do not want to upgrade to SCRAM, it is of course possible to
still remain with md5.
--
Michael

Attachment