Re: INSTALL file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: INSTALL file
Date
Re: INSTALL file  (Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads@pgug.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 01:01:47PM +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> That is not the first file people looking at. Especially not people looking
> at the GitHub copy:
>
> https://github.com/postgres/postgres
>
> I understand that there is documentation, but for the casual developer
> looking at this, it seems broken.

FWIW, I think that people depend too much on github and what github
thinks projects should do to be more presentable, like adding a
markdown-style README or such.

I get your point that people look at README first though, and that the
current status is confusing.  One idea would be to merge the contents of
README.git into the README.  However the current status also makes some
sense, as INSTALL is part of an distributed tarball, while README.git is
automatically removed when running "make distdir".  Looking at README is
the first thing I do when checking out any project or after
decompressing any source code tarball, so things could be better.
--
Michael

Attachment