Re: More issues with pg_verify_checksums and checksum verificationin base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: More issues with pg_verify_checksums and checksum verificationin base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:03:30AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> This doesn't change my opinion of the bigger question though, which is
> to what extent we should be implicitly supporting extensions and
> whatever else putting files into the database and tablespace
> directories.

Well, the whole point is that I have never seen either that it is
forbidden for extensions to drop files into global/ and/or base/.  I am
pretty sure that I'd actually want to be able to do that myself by the
way.  If I had pluggable storage APIs and the possibility to write by
myself a storage engine out-of-the-box, I would like to be able to rely
on the default tablespace path and use other tablespace paths.

> Even if we go with this proposed change to look at the relation
> filename, I'd be happier with some kind of warning being thrown when we
> come across files we don't recognize in directories that aren't intended
> to have random files showing up.

Yes, that could be something we could do, as an option I would guess as
this does not match with what v10 does.  I'll wait for more people to
provide input on this thread before answering more, but if possible I
think that we should focus on fixing v11 and HEAD first, then try to
figure out what we'd want to do later on.
--
Michael

Attachment