Re: Advice on machine specs for growth - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rory Campbell-Lange
Subject Re: Advice on machine specs for growth
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/09/18, Laurenz Albe (laurenz.albe@cybertec.at) wrote:
> Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> > We are looking to upgrade our current database server infrastructure so
> > that it is suitable for the next 3 years or so.
> >
> > We envisage needing about 800GB of primary database storage in the next
> > three years, with 1000 databases in the cluster.
>
> 1000 is a lot, but should still be ok.
> It is much more difficult to scale a single monolithic database server.
> Disable memory overcommit and set swappiness to 0 on database servers.

Thanks for your advice, Laurenz.

As a matter of interest, is 800GB considered "large"?

I appreciate that, given your advice, it might be better to start
dividing up the load now rather than, say, in three years, partly so we
become adept at working across more than one server.

Rory