Re: confusing terms - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: confusing terms
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Sep  3, 2018 at 07:17:12AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/role-membership.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/role-membership.html
>
> it says
>
> "Once the group role exists, you can add and remove members using the GRANT
> and REVOKE commands:
>
> GRANT group_role TO role1, ... ;
> REVOKE group_role FROM role1, ... ;"
>
> how can you add members to a newly created group role using the above
> command? shouldn't it be GRANT group_role TO user1 ??

Well, users and groups are both roles.  The sentence says below this:

   You can grant membership to other group roles, too (since there isn't
   really any distinction between group roles and non-group roles).

meaning you can grant group role membership to user and other group
roles.