Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nico Williams
Subject Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 01:12:19PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 11:27:49AM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> > Perhaps patent law [in some countries] requires contracts as opposed to
> > licenses?
>
> Yes, I really don't know.  I have just seen enough "oh, we didn't think
> of that" to be cautious.

So, is it FUD?  The core needs paid-for legal advice, not speculation.

I'm quite certain that a software license can make a patent grant to the
satisfaction of many open source communities, and almost certainly to
the satisfaction of the PG community.  But it will take an IP lawyer to
review or write such a license.

Nico