Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 06:31:14AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On July 23, 2018 6:25:42 AM PDT, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >Notice this makes no mention of what happens to the patents if the
> >company goes bankrupt.  My guess is that in such a situation the
> >company
> >would have no control over who buys the patents or how they are used.
>
> It explicitly says irrevocable and successors. Why seems squarely
> aimed at your concern. Bankruptcy wouldn't just invalidate that.

Until this has been upheld in court, it's just a vague idea.

> Similarly icenses like Apache 2 grant a perpetual and irrevocable
> patent grant for the use in the contribution.

The "upheld in court" business applies here, too.

I know it's tempting to look at formal-looking texts and infer that
they operate something vaguely like computer code, but that is
manifestly not the case.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778