Re: Syndicating PostgreSQL mailing list to Discourse - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Syndicating PostgreSQL mailing list to Discourse
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Erlend Sogge Heggen (e.soghe@gmail.com) wrote:
> Since it's read-only it would only be used for things like:
>
>    - Fast search with advanced filters (Discourse puts PostgreSQL full text
>    search to good use!)

While it might not be the case for other projects, we actually do use
PostgreSQL for our archives, including having FTS..

>    - All active lists aggregated into one feed, but also available as
>    individual categories that can be tracked/watched.

I'm curious what would be different here from what our archives provide.
We could certainly have a single "all lists" archive page but that seems
more likely to be just completely confusing than actually useful at all.

>    - Single-page topics, easier to read on mobile for the young'uns.

We've been working to make the mobile experience better for our
archives and we'd love to make the experience better for everyone, so
please make suggestions or even send in patches; all of the code running
the archives is open.

> If our mirror archive gets enough traction we'd like to make it possible to
> sign up to the forum and seamlessly interact with the mailing list,
> provided it's something the community actually wants of course. We're doing
> a similar experiment with the ruby-talk mailing list, which you can see
> being tested  at https://rubytalk.org/.

How do you plan to address the issues around DMARC/SPF/DKIM..?  If the
answer is "we don't plan to do anything" or "we are going to send email
from our own domain" then you're certainly not making it "seamless" for
us or for the user.  If you have a different solution, then I think
we're certainly curious to hear it, as it would be nice to change the
-bugs and -docs forms back to using the end user's email address when
sending to the list instead of having to have a 'noreply' address be
used.

Please do *not* start causing us trouble by sending what looks like
forged email through our mailing lists and causing bounces for us to
deal with.  We have more than enough of that already and if it becomes
an issue then we'll have to block, bounce, and/or unsubscribe whatever
is causing it.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment