Re: Selecting strict, immutable text for a composite type. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Lembark
Subject Re: Selecting strict, immutable text for a composite type.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 10 May 2018 17:38:48 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Yeah, but that's not what you did.
>
> I think you could make that work with
>
> exclude using gist (
>   lat_lng_text(location) with =,
>   effective with &&
> )
>
> but it's not going to apply the function without you telling it to.

Q: Why does it work with enums?

e.g., If I create a type foo_t as enum (...) and install the function
foo_text on foo_t the gist works. Why would the presence of a text
verison of the composite not get used the same way?

If the function works I'm happy, I just don't see the reasoning
behind having the enum's supported automatically and the composite
not handled.

enjoi

--
Steven Lembark                                       1505 National Ave
Workhorse Computing                                 Rockford, IL 61103