Re: Creating streaming replication standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Creating streaming replication standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 07:49:37AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> It would be nice if we could have an SQL command or a function which
> creates a streaming replication standby from existing primary. Some of
> public cloud already provide such that feature. Pgpool-II also
> provides it. Of course we can do it today by combining existing
> functions/SQL/tools but the feature will greatly make admin's life
> easier.

A complain that I have about such concepts is that it creates a
dependency between utilities which are usually classified by
distributions as client-side (pg_basebackup goes to postgresql-client
for Debian), and the server itself.  There is perhaps room for an
extension though.  If many vendors are providing such an option at SQL
level, it would mean that there is demand for it.
--
Michael

Attachment