Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> Pavan hasn't added support for referencing CTEs, which other database
> systems with MERGE have. I think that it ought to be quite doable. It
> didn't take me long to get it working myself, but there wasn't follow
> through on that (I could have posted the patch, which looked exactly
> as you'd expect it to look). I think that we should add support for
> CTEs now, as I see no reason for the omission.

Incremental development is a good thing.  Trying to do everything in a
single commit is great when time is infinite or even merely very long,
but if you run out of it, which I'm sure is common, leaving some things
out that can be reasonable implemented in a separate patch is perfectly
acceptable.