Re: pg_upgrade docs are confusing if PostgreSQL's versioningsystem/language isn't known to reader - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade docs are confusing if PostgreSQL's versioningsystem/language isn't known to reader
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:04:17PM -0500, Jim Ryan wrote:
> Hey Bruce,
>
> Thanks for working on this, but wouldn't pg_upgrade be needed from 10.1 to
> 10.2?  Aren't those considered major versions, or am I misunderstanding?

Uh, it is confusing.  We switched in PG 10 from changing the _third_
number for a minor release to changing the second number.  The next
major release of Postgres will be PG 11.

> The source of my (and potentially others) confusion is if from 9.1 to 9.2 is
> considered a major version change or not.  I think most users would assume from
> 9.x to 10.x is a major version change.  The ambiguity is in 9.x to 9.y.

Does the patch make sense now?