Re: documentation is now XML - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: documentation is now XML
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 05:25:30PM -0800, Joshua Drake wrote:
> On 01/23/2018 04:59 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 03:39:24PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >>Also, we're way overdue for getting out from under the creaky TeX-based
> >>toolchain for producing PDFs.  Every time we make releases, I worry
> >>whether we're going to get blindsided by its bugs with hotlinks that get
> >>split across pages, since page breaks tend to vary in position depending
> >>
> >>I am coming in late here, but I am not aware of any open source
> >>professional typesetting software that has output quality as good as
> >>TeX.
>
> It has been ages since I have dealt with this but as I recall but moving to
> XML we can use XSLT to push to PDF. The resulting product is as good (if not
> better in some ways) to old fashion SGML->TEX->PDF.
> Here are a couple of articles:
>
> https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/595650/Creating-PDF-documents-from-XML
> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xmlxsltpdf/index.html

Uh, the first article says it uses FO.NET, and on their webpage they
say:

    https://fonet.codeplex.com/
    XSL-FO to PDF renderer written in managed C# code for the .NET framework

    FO.NET has been written for the Microsoft .NET Framework and is suitable
    for use from any .NET compatible language such as C#, VB.NET or C#.

That sounds like a boatload of dependencies.