Re: pgsql: pg_upgrade: simplify code layout in a few places - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql: pg_upgrade: simplify code layout in a few places
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan  5, 2018 at 08:39:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Tom has preferred that I backpatch all safe patches so we keep that code
> >> consistent so we can backpatch other things more easily.
>
> > I've a hard time believing this. Tom?
>
> I've been known to back-patch stuff just to keep branches consistent,
> but it's always a judgement call.  In this case I wouldn't have done it
> (even if the patch were a good idea in HEAD) because it would cause
> churn in translatable messages in the back branches.  Also, the case
> for cosmetic back-patching is only strong when a particular file is
> already pretty similar across all branches, and I'm not sure that
> holds for pg_upgrade.

There was a time when pg_upgrade was similar in all branches and
churning a lot with fixes, so I was going on that plan.  At this point I
don't think that is true anymore, so maybe we can switch just to head
and PG 10 on this.