Re: CFM for January commitfest? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: CFM for January commitfest?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings Gerdan,

* Gerdan Rezende dos Santos (gerdan@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 at 00:53 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > On the PG mailing lists, we'd prefer if you didn't top-post but instead
> > respond in-line (as I'll do below).
> >
> > * Gerdan Rezende dos Santos (gerdan@gmail.com) wrote:
> > > I have interest in help with this.
> >
> > That's great!  I took your email to mean that you're interested in
> > helping out, but not in taking it on completely.
>
> Yes, I have interest to help. I do not have the experience of how to do the
> whole, but I believe that if I help you (you as CFM) in the future I can
> assume this activity when necessary.

Understood.  That's fantastic, really, because you'll be able to handle
some of the overall load and also learn the general process of running a
CFM.  The first thing to do is go through and triage the current set of
patches to identify where they're at, if they are in a good state, or if
there is something missing.

Typically, we push pretty hard on authors of patches to make sure that
their patches apply cleanly and are registered properly in the CF app.

To that point, we should go through the 'Needs review' patches and
review their threads to see if the patches still apply (often, if they
don't, someone will have said so on the thread; if not, it'd be nice if
we could verify if they do or don't still apply cleanly).  In doing so,
any threads which seem to have stalled could use a bit of suggestion or
insight into how it might move forward.  To the extent that you're able
to do that, great, but if not, please bring them to my attention.

I'll start in on this soon and hopefully that will give you a bit of a
"feel" for how to do so.  If that works and you feel comfortable doing
so, let's chat about which section of patches you could take on (maybe
start with the 'Documentation' section, as that only has a few
patches..?) and if that goes well then we can see about what other
section(s) you could help out with.

Thanks for volunteering to help out with moving this commitfest forward!

Thanks again!

Stephen

Attachment