Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andres,

* Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> On 2017-11-20 13:07:11 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> > > To your point: Let's have a public
> > > issue tracker that allows not only proper tracking of bugs but also
> > > features and desires of the project so that new and current users
> > > can have a simple interface to determine if there is anything they
> > > can help with.
>
> FWIW, I think a bugtracker to track bugs would be a good thing. But I
> seriously doubt it does anything meaningful for what we're discussing
> here.

Yes, we've been around that discussion before and various attempts have
been made to make it happen.  I agree it's also largely orthogonal to
the this discussion.

> > We do have a todo list which is available here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
>
> Which is basically a list of project you shouldn't even consider doing
> without at least a flame retardant suit. It has negative value, because
> it steers people towards things that are likely going to be painful to
> tackle.

Perhaps you could provide some specifics about projects that aren't
painful to tackle but would be good for newcomers to PostgreSQL to work
on?  In particular, we need that for GSoC 2018, but anything which isn't
picked up as a GSoC project could certainly be picked up by non-GSoC
developers.

Thanks!

Stephen