Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] amcheck packages - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] amcheck packages
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Peter Geoghegan 2017-10-07 <CAH2-WzkqW2K9Pkbi_erkjQV3iFxjgKu3sKYQieKA68hixtqM4A@mail.gmail.com>
> Note that "debian/watch" is grabbing tags that match "v(.*).tar.gz".
> So, even though I use "debian*" tags, too, I'm not sure that bumping
> the tag will work for us. It might be easier to make the changes you
> ask for formally "v1.1" and "debian/1.1-1" (i.e. avoid just bumping up
> by creating "debian/1.0-2", which is what you ask for here, I gather).

Sorry, my last mail was a bit confusing. What I meant to say was that
I frivolously did these local changes, and then uploaded the package
to Debian as 1.0-1. Assuming it passes the initial check of the
package by the ftp-master people, that's what is in Debian then, so
changing the tag would just mean syncing with that part of reality
(while apt.postgresql.org received what you tagged, the changes being
no-ops there). Sorry for the mess, I didn't want to postpone the
uploads any more, and just went forward there.

(The v.* tags are used by debian/watch (via "uscan") to retrieve
tarballs. The debian/.* tags are just for documentation.)

I guess the way ahead is now to just leave the tags in place, apply
the change(s) on top of master, and wait for the next release.

Re: Peter Geoghegan 2017-10-07 <CAH2-Wzkc9BtgX4nU8qzS+C-NSYQik6coYpfFm9xmUG6ZFos2oQ@mail.gmail.com>
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > Note that "debian/watch" is grabbing tags that match "v(.*).tar.gz".
> > So, even though I use "debian*" tags, too, I'm not sure that bumping
> > the tag will work for us. It might be easier to make the changes you
> > ask for formally "v1.1" and "debian/1.1-1" (i.e. avoid just bumping up
> > by creating "debian/1.0-2", which is what you ask for here, I gather).
> > Please let me know what you think.
>
> Actually, I could just create a "v1.0-2" tag, to go along with a
> "debian/1.0-2" tag. That would mean that I wouldn't formally be
> bumping package number, but rather debian_revision (as I understand
> it). A cleaner fix, perhaps.

This kind of changes in debian/-only is what -2 releases are for, so
1.1 is overkill, yes. No v1.0-2 tag is necessary because the upstream
version number is still (v)1.0.

Christoph