Re: [GENERAL] Log shipping in v8.4.7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Log shipping in v8.4.7
Date
List pgsql-general
## Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net):

> > On today's LANs, total archiving time is dominated by connection
> > startup time (how long does it take to transfer 16MB on a 10GbE link?
> > See...).
>
> And if we've only got a WAN link from one DC to another 360 miles away?

Well... TCP handshake will take much longer (>~ 10ms, if I got the 0s
right at the top of my head), and you can't cut anything off that time
(1.8e12 furlongs per fortnight, or 3e8 m/s, etc).
And then it's between TCP slow start and your link's bandwith (they
come in all kinds of speeds these days). Calculate and test...

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space.