Re: List migration problem, how to unsubscribe, documentation wrong - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: List migration problem, how to unsubscribe, documentation wrong
Date
List pgadmin-support
Darren, everyone,

* Darren Duncan (darren@darrenduncan.net) wrote:
> A week ago, the pgadmin-support@postgresql.org email list was
> migrated to different software, to PGLister from MajorDomo.

Right.

> When Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) migrated this list, he
> announced that if there are any problems we are to talk to him
> specifically if there are any issues or anything not working
> properly with the list.

Absolutely, I'm happy to help..  My apologies, but I'm not actually
subscribed to the list.

> It appears that the Postgres mailing lists' documentation was not
> updated in accordance with this move, for example
> lists.postgresql.org still talks about the old MajorDomo software,
> and if people follow those instructions to try and unsubscribe from
> a list, nothing would happen because MajorDomo isn't managing the
> lists anymore.

We have to migrate the lists at different times, and the
"lists.postgresql.org" is part of the mj2 system which we don't have
(easy) control over, unfortunately, that's part of the reason we're
moving away from it actually.

The postgresql.org website here:

https://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe/

Has been updated to include a link to the website where subscriptions
and unsubscriptions can be done for the lists which have been migrated,
which was included in my earlier email and is here:

https://lists.postgresql.org/manage/

> Now the new emails themselves contain the following header, served
> by the new software, so in theory they should be accurate:

That's correct, using that email address should work.  If it doesn't
then I definitely need to know about that so that we can get it fixed.

From what I can see, we have had two individuals successfully go through
the process of performing an unsubscribe within just the past couple of
hours, and so I want to thank you Darren for helping explain the
process.  Clearly that should have been better communicated in the
migration email and I'll update it to include that information in the
future.

> from the email address you're subscribed with, and follow any
> instructions you get back.

That's correct.  I'm going to chat with Magnus (who developed pglister)
to see if we can maybe make the List-Unsubscribe link include a key to
just immediately perform the unsubscribe instead of having to have the
back-and-forth happen.

> 2. If that doesn't work, email Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>
> who presumably has the admin privileges to both get you removed as
> well as fix whatever normal channel isn't working.

Yes, I do, and absolutely feel free to reach out to me with any
questions or concerns.  I am *not* subscribed to the list (though
perhaps I'll change that for the lists which I migrate, at least for a
while...).

> 3. For the love of all that is good, STOP sending posts to the
> mailing list itself pgadmin-support@lists.postgresql.org asking to
> be unsubscribed.  All you are doing then is making the problem worse
> and spamming everyone else.  Even if it takes time to fix the
> unsubscribing problem, the fact you are still on the list shouldn't
> be a bother if you get almost no traffic from it, due to people not
> spamming the list.

Yes, please email myself if you have any issues or difficulties and not
the list.

> Stephen, it would help if you would preemptively unsubscribe
> everyone that did spam the list already as that should help with the
> most immediate problem, thank you.

I'm not on the list so I haven't been seeing who would like to be
unsubscribed, and at least two individuals have gone through the process
now, so hopefully this has been resolved, but if not, *please* reach out
to me directly and I will help.

Thanks!

Stephen