[pgsql-advocacy] pycon 2017 report - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mark Wong
Subject [pgsql-advocacy] pycon 2017 report
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
A report from PDXPUG:

A couple weeks ago, PDXPUG staffed a Postgres booth at PyCon, which was
held in Portland, OR, USA. (https://us.pycon.org/2017/)  Folks there
were very excited to see us!  It seems Python developers are very pro
Postgres.

We had a lot of booth traffic. Gabrielle said she talked to more folks
than she has the past couple of OSCONs together (~4000 attendees at
OSCON, compared to PyCon’s ~3400).

Rough breakdown:

A large percentage of the booth visitors just stopped by to tell us how
much they love using Postgres, and to grab a bunch of stickers for their
teammates.

The remainder who stuck around to talk and ask questions were mainly
intermediate level devs, sys admins, and a few DBAs.  Questions tended
along the lines of: How do I do [x] better?  Can you tell me more about
[x] feature?  How do people actually solve [x] problem?  Tell me what’s
great about 9.6 (or 10)!

Several folks expressed disappointment that there weren't any Postgres
talks;  something to think about if PyCon comes to your neighborhood!

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark Wong                                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services