Re: [HACKERS] [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternativehosts when some errors occur - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternativehosts when some errors occur
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert,

> One good argument for leaving this alone entirely is that this feature
> was committed on November 3rd and this thread began on May 12th.  If
> there was ample time before feature freeze to question the design and
> nobody did, then I'm not sure why we should disregard the freeze to
> start whacking it around now, especially on the strength of one
> complaint.  It may be that after we get some field experience with
> this the right thing to do will become clearer.

I am not particularly convinced by this argument.  As much as we hope
that committers have worked with a variety of people with varying
interests and that individuals who are concerned about such start
testing just as soon as something is committed, that, frankly, isn't how
the world really works, based on my observations, at least.

The point of this period of time between feature freeze and actual
release is, more-or-less, to figure out if the solution we've reached
actually is a good one, and if not, to do something about it.

Thanks!

Stephen