Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Date
Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 02:39:40PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > OK, fixed.  I also moved some "incompatibility" items into the right
> > section.  FYI, you can see the most recent doc build here:
> >
> >         http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-10.html
>
> Here is some feedback based on a first read.
>
> +<para>
> +Issue fsync on the output files generated by <application>pg_dump</>
> and <application>pg_dumpall</>(Michael Paquier)
> +</para>
> Missing a space here between pg_dumpall and my name.
>
> <para>
> This is accessed via <function>ts_headline()</> and to_tsvector. RIGHT SECTION?
> </para>
> </listitem>
> This should use a <function> markup for both names.

Fixed.

> <para>
> Add <link linkend="auth-pg-hba-conf"><literal>SCRAM-SHA-256</></>
> support for password negotiation and storage (Michael
> Paquier, Heikki Linnakangas)
> </para>
> <para>
> This proves better security than the existing 'md5' negotiation and
> storage method.
> </para>
> This is quite vague...

Can you give me better text?  I can't think of any.

> <listitem>
> <!--
> Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
> 2016-11-21 [a734fd5d1] autovacuum: Drop orphan temp tables more quickly but wit
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> 2016-11-27 [dafa0848d] Code review for early drop of orphaned temp relations in
> -->
> <para>
> Remove orphaned temporary tables more aggressively (Robert Haas, Tom Lane)
> </para>
> <para>
> Previously such tables were removed only when necessary. SECTION?
> </para>
> </listitem>
> Well, I wrote the first patch that has been committed, until Tom
> showed up and rewrote everything :)
> perhaps this could be in a section dedicated to autovacuum?

Well, I need 3+ items to make a new section and I don't think we have
that.

> <listitem>
> <!--
> Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
> 2017-02-08 [a507b8690] Add WAL consistency checking facility.
> Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
> 2017-03-14 [bb4a39637] hash: Support WAL consistency checking.
> -->
> <para>
> Add <acronym>GUC</> <xref linkend="guc-wal-consistency-checking"> to
> add details to <acronym>WAL</> that can be
> sanity-checked on the standby (Kuntal Ghosh, Michael Paquier, Robert
> Haas)
> </para>
> I would be fine if my name is removed here. Kuntal has done all the
> work, I just reviewed his code.

OK, done.

> <para>
> Previously only specification of the stop name, time, and xid were
> supported.
> </para>
> </listitem>
> Missing timeline and 'immediate' here.

Yes, added.

> <listitem>
> <!--
> Author: Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>
> 2017-04-04 [728bd991c] Speedup 2PC recovery by skipping two phase state files i
> -->
> <para>
> Speed up two-phase commit recovery performance (Simon Riggs)
> </para>
> </listitem>
> Simon is the committer here, authors are marked as Stas Kelvich,
> Nikhil Sontakke and Michael Paquier.

Oh, I made a mistake there, fixed.

> <listitem>
> <!--
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> 2016-08-15 [ca9112a42] Stamp HEAD as 10devel.
> -->
> <para>
> New major version numbering (Peter Eisentraut, Tom Lane)
> </para>
> <para>
> Major versions will now increase just the first number, and minor
> releases will increase just the second number.  A third number will no
> longer be used in Postgres version numbers.
> </para>
> </listitem>
> Perhaps this should be higher in the list?

OK, I moved it to the top of incompatibilities.

http://enterprisedb.com