Re: [HACKERS] Logical decoding on standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Logical decoding on standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-03-22 14:58:29 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 22 March 2017 at 13:06, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
> > But I have to admit, I've *severe* doubts about getting the whole
> > infrastructure for slot creation on replica into 10.  The work is far
> > from ready, and we're mere days away from freeze.
>
> If Craig has to guess what would be acceptable, then its not long enough.

I don't know what you're on about with that statement.  I've spent a
good chunk of time looking at the 0003 patch, even though it's large and
contains a lot of different things.  I suggested splitting things up. I
even suggested what to move earlier after Craig agreed with that
sentiment, in the mail you're replying to, because it seems
independently doable.

> It would be better if you could outline a specific approach so he can
> code it. Coding takes about a day for most things, since Craig knows
> the code and what we're trying to achieve.

I find that fairly unconvincing. What we have here is a patch that isn't
close to being ready, contains a lot of complicated pieces, a couple
days before freeze.  If we can pull useful pieces out: great.  But it's
too later for major new development.

Greetings,

Andres Freund