Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 3/22/17 08:46, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > It's not my intent to 'torpedo' this patch but I'm pretty disappointed
> > that we're introducing yet another initdb-time option with, as far as I
> > can tell, no option to change it after the cluster has started (without
> > some serious hackery), and continuing to have a poor default, which is
> > what most users will end up with.
>
> I understand this concern, but what alternative do you have in mind?

Changing the default to a more reasonable value would at least reduce
the issue.

I think it'd also be nice to have a way to change it post-initdb, but
that's less of an issue if we are at least setting it to a good default
to begin with instead of a minimal one.

Thanks!

Stephen