Re: [GENERAL] Incremental / Level -1 backup in PG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Incremental / Level -1 backup in PG
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* rakeshkumar464 (rakeshkumar464@outlook.com) wrote:
> If first choice is lot faster in Oracle,DB2, I have reasons to believe that
> the same should be true for PG also. But as someone explained, the PG
> technology can not support this.

This statement isn't correct.  There are, in fact, tools for doing
incremental backup and restore with PG and they work quite well, as I
mentioned.  Currently they operate at a file-level, which means 1G
chunks instead of block-level, but there is work being done to change
that too.  There isn't anything in "PG technology" that makes this
impossible or, really, even that difficult, it's more that there hasn't
been effort put into it simply because the file-level incremental
solution works quite well in most cases.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment