Re: [HACKERS] tzdata2017a breaks timestamptz regression test - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] tzdata2017a breaks timestamptz regression test
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> For the cases involving the America/Santiago zone, I'm a bit inclined
> to just switch that to America/New_York, which seems much less likely
> to get fooled with by IANA.  But I'm wondering if Alvaro had a specific
> reason for using the Santiago zone in those test cases.

No, I just used the Santiago zone because it was local.  But I agree
it's a bad one to use, because in the last decade politicians have been
playing with it excessively, so +1 for changing to something else.

> What I propose we do about that is replace the America/Caracas test cases
> with Europe/Moscow tests, moving the dates as needed to match DST
> transitions from when Moscow was observing DST (pre 2011).  The comments
> in the IANA files indicate that they believe the MSK/MSD abbreviations
> have or had real-world usage, so they probably won't replace them with
> numeric offsets.  We can hope, anyway.

Sounds reasonable to me.