Re: [HACKERS] Active zombies at AIX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Active zombies at AIX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-02-06 15:39:10 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2/6/17 6:28 AM, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
> > I wonder why do we prohibit now configuration of Postgres without mmap?
>
> It's not really prohibited, but it's not something that people generally
> need, and we want to keep the number of configuration variations low.

I think that was a fairly bad call. Making it hard to use anything but
mmap (on mmap supporting platforms) caused a fair bit of trouble and
performance regressions on several platforms by now (freebsd reported it
fairly quickly, and now aix), all to avoid a trivial amount of code and
one guc.

FWIW, there's a patch somewhere in the archive making it configurable.

- Andres