Re: [BUGS] pg_dump's results have quite different size - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [BUGS] pg_dump's results have quite different size
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Greetings,

* Kaijiang Chen (chenkaijiang@gmail.com) wrote:
> After I enlarged the max_standby_streaming_delay, it works well for some
> days (I have to increase the max_standby_streaming_delay when data is
> bigger).
>
> Thank you all!
>
> A suggestion might be: pg_dump from the standby is frequently used in
> backup tasks; it'll be much better if we have some options to ensure the
> pg_dump to finish; for example, an option to temporary stop the
> replication? Or do we already have some approach?

If you don't want long-running transactions on the replica to be killed
then you can enable hot standby feedback, but you'll have to accept that
there may be additional bloat on the master then.

Another option might be to consider alternative backup methods, such as
using physical backup tools instead of pg_dump.

Thanks!

Stephen