Re: emergency outage requiring database restart - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: emergency outage requiring database restart
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Jim Nasby wrote:
> >> It occurs to me that it might be worth embedding the relation name in the
> >> free space of the first block. Most people would never notice the missing 64
> >> bytes, but it would be incredibly helpful in cases like this...
>
> > Agreed.  The problem is how to install it without breaking pg_upgrade.
>
> Well, that's the first problem.  The second problem is how to cope with
> RENAME TABLE.

Uh, sorry.  My proposal a couple of years back was to put the
relfilenode, not the name.  I didn't notice that it was the name being
proposed here.  However, now I notice that this idea doesn't solve the
problem for mapped relations.