Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Steele wrote:
> On 10/21/16 3:12 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>
> > I have no problem continuing keeping with historical precedent ​and
> > allowing mnemonic abbreviations in our directory and file names at this
> > point.
>
> I'm still in favor of pg_xact.  A search of the 9.6 docs brings up a number
> of hits for "xact": pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp(),
> pg_advisory_xact_lock(), pg_advisory_xact_lock_shared(),
> pg_last_committed_xact(),  pg_prepared_xacts(), etc. There are also numerous
> column names that have "xact" in them.

I'm +1 on pg_clog -> pg_xact.

Also +1 to renaming pg_subtrans to pg_subxact.

In general, +1 to short mnemonic meaningful names.  -1 to overly long
names, -1 to meaningless names.

Regarding pg_receivexlog I think I'd propose pg_recvwal rather than
pg_receivewal, because of pg_recvlogical.