Re: Russian translations - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Russian translations
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:53:58AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>     Presently, we want to restrict the commercial use of the Russian
>     translation. It means that the text is not BSD-licensed, and cannot be
>     freely included in any commercial products. Magnus, do you consider this
>     acceptable in the sense of your comments?
>

> I don't have a problem with such restrictions, but I think it would be good to
> clarify what it exactly means.
>
> For example, can a russian speaker use the documentation if he's giving
> postgresql training? Does it make a difference if he prints the documentation
> and uses it vs uses it online?

Uh, I think we need to step back here.  First, anyone can add a more
restrictive copyright to our docs, even in English, as long as they
retain our copyright notice.

Second, the website has been updated as requested.

However, I don't know what a "commercial purposes" restriction means.
It is vague for software use, and even vaguer for documentation.

I understand Postgres Pro had to invest resources to do the translation,
and understand their desire to restrict access.  However, I think we
need to be clear on exactly what those restrictions are if we are going
to keep a link from our website.

http://enterprisedb.com