Re: Debugging a backend stuck consuming CPU - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ktm@rice.edu
Subject Re: Debugging a backend stuck consuming CPU
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 05:52:26PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "ktm@rice.edu" <ktm@rice.edu> writes:
> > The stack trace just appeared to be what I would expect while a 'DISCARD ALL'
> > command was being run:
>
> > #0  0x000000000073bc7c in MemoryContextSetParent ()
> > #1  0x000000000073bde3 in MemoryContextDelete ()
> > #2  0x000000000054e3a9 in DropAllPreparedStatements ()
> > #3  0x00000000005365f3 in DiscardCommand ()
>
> Hmm, what it seems from these traces is that you've got a whole heck of
> a lot of prepared statements.
>
> > The backend does have a very large memory footprint (12GB).
>
> Um.
>
> The most likely explanation is that you are hitting O(N^2) behavior as
> a consequence of MemoryContextSetParent being O(N) in the number of
> sibling contexts of the context to be deleted.  We fixed that for 9.6
> (commit 25c539233044c235e97fd7c9dc600fb5f08fe065) but there's no easy
> solution in older branches, short of not using so many prepared
> statements.  I'm a bit surprised that you could have gotten up to 12GB
> worth of prepared statements in an application that sends DISCARD ALL
> periodically.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hi,

The DISCARD ALL is only sent by pgbouncer at the end of the processing.
The actual process builds up a cache to be used later whose size is
proportional to the number of items. The initial run is large, but the
regular runs are much smaller and cleanup quickly. I was more concerned
with incorrect behavior leading to DB corruption. Thank you for your
suggestions and assistance.

Regards,
Ken