Re: what database schema version management system to use? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: what database schema version management system to use?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 06:21:10AM -0400, Berend Tober wrote:

> I would be interested in knowing specifically how the ".SQL file which
> updates the previous version to the new version" is generated. Is there a
> tool that does that based on the difference between new and old? Or is that
> update script coded by hand?

We (GNUmed) create it manually.

In fact, those scripts are a by-product of sane database
layout development. Starting from what is, developers write
scripts which modify the layout to what shall be.

It doesn't seem to be good practice to do
point-and-click-based "development" of databases.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346