Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar  1, 2016 at 02:02:44PM -0500, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, Mar  1, 2016 at 07:56:58PM +0100, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> > Note that I am not saying that other discussed approaches are any
> > better, I am saying that we should know approximately what we
> > actually want and not just beat FDWs with a hammer and hope sharding
> > will eventually emerge and call that the plan.
>
> I will say it again --- FDWs are the only sharding method I can think of
> that has a chance of being accepted into Postgres core.  It is a plan,
> and if it fails, it fails.  If is succeeds, that's good.  What more do
> you want me to say?  I know of no other way to answer the questions you
> asked above.

I guess all I can say is that if FDWs existed when Postgres XC/XL were
being developed, that they likely would have been used or at least
considered.  I think we are basically making that attempt now.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +