Re: advance notice - PL/Java 1.5.0 is in beta - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: advance notice - PL/Java 1.5.0 is in beta
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Chapman Flack 2016-02-06 <56B6565B.7070808@anastigmatix.net>
> I'm sure PL/Java will not be the last or only Maven-built artifact
> that might become available for debian. The build approach I've suggested
> here is really the only way I can see to approach it that seems at all
> promising....

Hi Chap,

it's true that packaging of Java apps is problematic in Debian. I
don't know enough about that part of Debian to say if that's because
there's just not enough people working on it, or if the way the
Java/Maven dependency resolution is designed to work just doesn't fit
into the packaging policies that designed around shipping (C) libraries
with SONAMEs.

I'm investigating if the "contrib" archive section wouldn't allow
relaxing this policy (it's still free software after all), or maybe
simply shipping the .m2 in the source cache. There's also a
"maven-debian-helper" which apparently mangles the source into a form
that fits what's in the Debian archive, but I've never used it.

Another question would be how we want to apply these policies to
apt.postgresql.org. We don't have a "contrib" section there yet
(neither "non-free"), but adding that wouldn't be much effort.

I'll keep you updated.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/