Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL service - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL service
Date
List pgsql-general
David Unsworth <dunswort@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This was working until recently.  In Services I right clicked on properties and
> I think I changed the METHOD in pg_hba.conf from md5 to trust.
> I think after making this change the problems started.
>
> In Services I cannot start the PostgreSQL Server 8.4 due to Error:1069 The
> service did not start due to a logon failure.

Server start has nothing to do with pg_hba.conf. And: 8.4 is out of
support.

Is this a Windows-System? I'm guessing you have problems with
anti-virus-software and/or firewall-software and/or wrong
system-user-permissions to start the service.

pg_hba.conf is for client-access, not for startup!

Maybe this here can help you:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/F4C27E77F7A33E4CA98C19A9DC6722A2062AD78B@EXCHANGE.corp.perceptron.com
and
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4C2940FC.6000108@enterprisedb.com