Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 07:53:25AM -0800, Joshua Drake wrote:
> #2 This is a longer topic. I have been stewing in my head about
> releases for years. I have even brought up the idea of an Ubuntu
> style release cycle on list once or twice. The more I think about
> it, the more I think this can help our community. We essentially
> would have two types of releases:
>
> STS:
>
> * Supported for 1 release cycle plus 6 months (18-24 months)
> * Inline upgrades supported
>
> LTS:
>
> * Supported for standard 5 years
> * Is allowed to break binary format from STS but not previous LTS.
> This allows two LTS versions per 5 year support cycle

I just don't buy the Ubuntu release model for our database.  Ubuntu is
trying to balance hot features vs stability, while we are really focused
on stability, similar to Debian.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +